Monday, March 10, 2014

I Believe Essay and Podcast

Here's a link to the podcast version of my essay!

Brayden Chapman
2/24/14
I Believe Essay

     To fate, it doesn’t matter what kind of person you are. You could be a cruel, heartless fiend or a kind and gentle soul. It won’t effect the chances of something good or bad happening to you. The odds won’t be titled in your favor simply because you bring joy to those around you. It’s a sad and depressing belief, but it’s a belief I was forced to adopt since I first left my crib. Life isn’t fair, and theres nothing you can do about it. 
     When I was born, I was completely blind. I had no vision whatsoever, the world was dark. There I was, a newborn child, and I had already received a devastating blow from the unforgiving world before I even took my first breath. “Why should someone suffer before they even have a chance to do something wrong?” I thought to myself as I finally came to terms with the reality of my situation. 
     My belief strengthened when I visited a hospital for a surgery. I saw a small child with cancer, waiting with his mother for the nurse to call them in. I talked to the boy for a few minutes and with every word my heart ached for him as we exchanged words. He was only a child, he was the symbol of innocence and pureness. But there he was, going through torment that would make most full-grown men and women have a mental breakdown. He had done nothing wrong, yet the world chose him as its next victim. Rage enveloped me as countless thoughts ran through my head, each one ending in the same three words: life isn’t fair. 

   Ill fate can fall upon anyone: the young, the old, the pure of heart, and the malevolent. However, do not misinterpret my words. Although life has decided to put many of us through undeserved torment, we can’t dwell upon the challenges that have been set before us. Like I said before, you could be one of the nicest people in the world, but something dreadful could still happen to you. I believe that with all my heart, I truly do. However, it doesn’t give me, you, or anyone else the right to be cruel towards others. Just because some are more fortunate than me doesn’t mean I should be insulting and cruel to those around me. Men and women shouldn’t be hated just because they won life’s twisted game of chance. Instead of lashing out at those around me because of my unsavory circumstances, I’ve decided to be kind and courteous towards everyone I meet. I may not be able to return the cards of fate life has presented me with, but I can do my very best to lessen the suffering of those who have also had undeserved misfortune. In short, I believe life is far from fair, but you can’t let that change the way you treat other people.

4 comments:

  1. I think you have an incredible way of looking at things. I have noticed that you are so generous to people and I have also been impressed with the way that you handle things. Life isn't fair but you've made a positive life decision out of a negative situation and thats something that most can't do. Great piece of writing Brayden!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never thought of it like this. My belief is in chance. Some are lucky some not. Reading this I can relate to you and the child you met. Some people just have it bad. And instead of being all woe is me you can be nice and friendly because that's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that your belief was very inspiring because of how you connected it to yourself and how you decided to treat people fairly.

    ReplyDelete